The Graduate Program in International Political Economy and Development (“IPED”) at Fordham University.
This collaboration is designed to:
- Provide educational opportunities for ABSIP members who may wish to obtain an Advanced Certificate in Emerging Markets and Country Risk Analysis
- Provide educational opportunities for ABSIP members who may wish to enroll for any other Graduate Programs or other Post-Graduate Certificate Programs at Fordham University
- Afford selected qualifying IPED graduate students an opportunity to acquire direct exposure to ABSIP work in Southern Africa through relevant internships
- Provide an affiliation for outstanding IPED graduate students who are seeking Fulbright Fellowships to conduct research in Southern Africa
2. Emerging Markets and Country risk Analysis Certificate Program
In collaboration with the University of Pretoria each year all tuition costs will be waived for up to five (5) members of ABSIP who wish to enroll in IPED’s Advanced Certificate Program in Emerging Markets and Country Risk Analysis. Admission into the certificate program will be subject to the program’s regular admissions standards. The students enrolled in this program will complete the two courses, Strategic Financial Management and International Business & Governments, in New York during May/June and in August of the same year they will complete the remaining required course, The Economics of Emerging Markets, at the University of Pretoria. Fordham University is not responsible for any costs beyond tuition such as room, board and travel.
3. Graduate Programs and Post-Graduate Certificate Programs at Fordham
In collaboration with IPED, each year ABSIP will identify outstanding and deserving members who wish to enroll in other Graduate Programs at Fordham University. These members would receive an opportunity to study a Degree or other Post-Graduate Certificate Program at the university in New York. As such, Fordham University will be required to provide financial assistance either by way of a Fordham scholarship or assisting members to receive scholarships from other IPED affiliates, enabling a waiver of all tuition costs and/or other costs beyond tuition such as room, board and travel. Admission into the Degree or Post-Graduate certificate programs will be subject to the programs’ regular admissions standards and requirements.
4. ABSIP Affiliated Internships
ABSIP will assist select IPED graduate students to find appropriate internships in Southern Africa through its affiliates and partners. The aim of an ABSIP organized internship is to complement the student’s development-oriented studies with practical experience in various aspects of multilateral technical cooperation, and match the specific interests of the intern to the needs of the relevant ABSIP affiliate. The duration of an internship will be for a minimum period of 3 months, full-time. ABSIP is not required to provide funding for these internships.
Interns must have the following qualifications:
- Enrollment in a graduate-level degree in a related field such as accounting, finance, economics and international business studies.
- Relevant experience and demonstrated interest in the fields mentioned above.
- Strong technical and analytical capabilities.
- Excellent organizational and management skills. Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships.
- Adaptability to work and live in a less developed country within a post-conflict context.
- Written and spoken proficiency in English. Knowledge of other African languages is useful but not required.
- An interest in global mobility; adaptability to varied physical and other environments; a desire to work with and gain the confidence and respect of people with different linguistic, national, and cultural backgrounds. Strong Interpersonal and communication skills.
5. Fulbright Affiliation
When deemed appropriate, ABSIP may provide an affiliation for outstanding IPED graduate students who are seeking Fulbright and other prestigious fellowships to conduct research in South Africa. The costs associated with this affiliation, for an international student, may be borne by Fordham University, a related institution or government which may provide the
required financial assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain relevant financing for travel, accommodation or any other requirements.